The boy who wants to be a photographer
Hey there my name is Vegard Orlando, and I am the guy behind this website, or the guy behind the camera, depends on what you prefer actually. But on this specific page, I will be the main focus, so here’s my story and my doings in life thus far.
The story begins with a long journey
My first journey in life was from Colombia in South-America and all the way to Norway in Europe. As a baby, I was adopted to Norway, and I grew up in the eastern part of Norway with my parents and my cat Pusur. My parents love travelling and they do it a lot, so naturally, I also went on quite a few journeys as a kid. We travelled usually 1-3 times per year, and going abroad became as natural to me as taking the bus somewhere. To travel will always be in my heart, and one of the things I love the most, to travel is to live. I have a goal of seeing as much of this planet as I possibly can before I leave it. Life is an adventure, so I want to make the most of it!
Eyes opened for photography
At around the age of eight, I started watching a television series name Caitlin’s way, it was about a young rebel girl who moved out to the countryside and slowly adapting to life outside of the city. During the series she get´s a job as a photographer and journalist for a local newspaper. I do not really know why this got me so into wanting to try photography, but the SLR cameras looked so cool and I just wanted to try it. Normally I have just used disposable cameras for vacation pictures, I just took a whole bunch of random pictures.
But one day my dad cleaned up the basement storage in our house, I helped him, and we found the old SLR camera that he used when he was younger. It was still in working condition, and I got to borrow it, I bought some film and tried this one out. I couldn’t really understand anything about it, so I just pressed a few buttons, turned the camera lens and snapped some pictures. Delivered the film and waited eagerly for the pictures to be developed, sadly none of them were even in focus, or correctly exposed. They were so far from it as they could get. But I tried again and again and slowly got the hang of it.
Later on, I got a DSLR as a birthday gift, and this is where photography really came into my life. I really enjoyed long random walks with the camera, snapping anything that seemed interesting. And the best part, not having to wait for the developed film to see the results. From that point I became a digital photographer, and have later expanded the camera equipment, currently having a Canon 6D full-frame camera with various lenses.
Now in the year 2018, I recently started as a student at Bilder Nordic School of Photography, BNSOP for short. This is me wanting to develop more skills within photography, as I feel that I have been on a hold for a while. It was a do or don’t, currently, I work freelance for a company named JCP and have the freedom to choose when to work. I might not have that chance again ever. I have always wanted to attend a school to study photography and finally it happened. So this is my journey towards becoming a real photographer.
Love for the art of making videos and graphic design
Prior to this, I studied graphic design at Høyskolen Kristiania in Oslo for two years, having the third year spent in Australia at Griffith University Gold Coast. This resulted in a Bachelors degree within Photomedia, which includes parts of graphic design, videography, digital storytelling and photography. It was through that study course that I really fell in love with the art of making videos, so I made my own YouTube channel recently and started making some gaming videos, vlogging and other miscellaneous video projects. You can have a look at my YouTube channel here.
And some completely random information at the end
So yeah that’s basically a short version of my story so far in life, if you want to know more about me and what I do, then I suggest following this blog. Here I will share stories from my life, pictures, videos, and other projects. So let’s end this page with five random facts about me.
- I love owls, even the name Owlando is a pun modelled after my middle name Orlando, actually, I do love all birds in general, but I really do love owls. How can you not love those beautiful creatures?
- I was or I still am quite a picky eater, for the first 10-15 years of my life, I mainly ate 3-8 various dishes of food. Ranging from different pasta types, pizza, porridge and soup. Sad but true, later on, I have broadened my food choices.
- I am spontaneous and live in the moment, I rarely plan things, I take every day as they come and make the best out of them. Don’t get me wrong, I am able to plan, and most of the adult life makes you plan stuff all the time. But when I am able to, I just prefer to live in the moment.
- I am quite childish and random, I do and say random stuff all the time. I am still addicted to different cartoons that most people my age have grown from. I like to draw cartoons and doodles at random places and random hours.
- I am most creative at nights, sadly but most of the stuff that I do have been done like after 11 pm. I really do not know why, but a lot of creative thoughts just pop up in my head at night. And then I have to get started in order to benefit from the creative zone. Sadly it often results in being up to around 3-4am, which is quite late. But hey, I have read so many places that this is very typical for a creative person, so I am not alone about this, luckily.
That’s it folks
If you read this, then thank you for taking your time, and I hope you enjoy the site. Feel free to contact me if you have some assignments for me, or maybe even a job opportunity. You never know what the day will bring.
Have a nice day!